Thursday, May 13, 2010

Formation of the National American Woman Suffrage Association!


Today, I arranged the combining of the National Women's Suffrage Association (NWSA) with the American Women Suffrage Association (AWSA), and created the National American Women Suffrage Association (NAWSA). Above is a picture of the state presidents and officers of the National American Woman Suffrage Association. About 20 years ago, in 1869, my dear friend Elizabeth Cady Stanton and I founded the NWSA. This organization was committed to gaining women's right to vote. I have made many attempts to unite women in the labor movement with the suffragist cause but I haven't had much success in the past. This merge was quite the controversy for I created a NWSA executive committee to vote on whether we should merge with the AWSA, despite the fact that using a committee instead of an all-member vote went against the NWSA constitution.

In this new organization, we will continue the work of both associations, helping to pass
woman suffrage legislation at the state level. We will be the parent organization of hundreds of smaller local and state groups. Like the AWSA and NWSA, we will promote the formation of a constitutional amendment guaranteeing women's voting rights. We hope that state-by-state support will eventually force the federal government to pass the amendment. I am really excited about this new organization an I hope we are successful in our long term goals.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Miss. Anthony. This is musician Duke Ellington. I very much admire what you are trying to do regarding women's suffrage. I fully support your cause, and I wish you the best in reaching your goal of forming a constitutional amendment guaranteeing women's voting rights. Your formation of the National American Women Suffrage Association is an incredible thing. We should all be thankful for your contributions to raising the status of women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This Vincent Van Gogh speaking and first i would like to say that what your doing is great. I greatly support your cause and hope to see the progress you make in our society. I hope we can see each other someday so I can draw a portrait of you and all the members of your group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Susan, it's Margaret bourke-White here :) I admire everything you do. I am so happy to know that there is someone out there that has a desire for equality between woman and men. I am exactly like you. I'm a very strong supporter of Woman rights. As a woman myself, I also broke many barriers within the photography world. I did what no one dreamed a woman could do. I can see the same in you. We are like in many ways, and I'd love to get to know you. Your very inspirational! xx

    ReplyDelete